Post-doctoral research fellow
Keywords: adult stem cells, pluripotent stem cells, eye organoids, mouse genetics, cell transplantation, disease modeling, retina pigment epithelium, retinal regeneration,
We are looking for a naturally driven scientist with experience in mouse genetics to join us in studying mechanisms of retinal degeneration and regeneration. We attack the problems of eye disease from multiple vectors. We study diseased tissue directly from human tissue donation. We also develop in vitro models using this tissue to screen compounds that improve disease phenotype. We use stem cells to engineer tools to better study mechanisms of disease and create eye organoids. Lastly we employ animal models to confirm discoveries made from the human in vitro models. Some areas of current focus in the lab are Age-related Macular Degeneration, Proliferative Vireoretinopathy, Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy and infection in the eye by SARS-CoV-2.
- Being a small lab, everyone wears multiple hats. This environment is well suited for learning the necessary skills to propel yourself into running your own independent lab. You will help manage the day-to-day operations of the research laboratory. Research in the lab focuses on developing in vitro and in vivo models of eye diseases, investigation into which mechanisms breakdown during disease and identifying therapeutic compounds to prevent and/or reverse disease symptoms. We use human cadaver donor and patient tissue, pluripotent stem cell technology, eye organoid, mouse, and rat animal models.
- 1. Development of independent research.
- 2. Work with investigator to direct and assist students and on postdoctoral fellows on their individual projects to ensure efficient utilization of resources.
- 3. Train students and technicians in a variety of laboratory procedures including eye dissection, cell culture, qPCR, IHC, Confocal microscopy, time-lapse microscopy.
- 4. Maintain cell cultures.
- 5. Aid in grant writing.
- 6. Laboratory upkeep.
PhD in Biological or Natural Sciences
-Laboratory experience in animal models, iPSC technology and/or gene editing
-Candidate must be self-motivated, energetic, and capable of problem solving
-Excellent record-keeping skills
-Experience in cell culture, molecular cloning, and animal care
-Intends on long-term employment (>4 years)
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity and inclusion is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize healthcare delivery together.
At Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (ISMMS) our focus is on creativity and excellence. ISMMS is one of the top health institutions in the world and has won many national awards. As such, we look for new members who expect the same high level of performance in their self. We have an opportunity for a Post-doctoral researcher to join a lab in the Department of Developmental and Regenerative Medicine, Department of Ophthalmology, and Black Family Stem Cell Institute. The Blenkinsop laboratory works on eye disease, retinal regeneration and cell transplantation.
We work hard to recruit and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you have the opportunity and support to develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, have an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospitals, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We comply with applicable Federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate, exclude, or treat people differently on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.