The NIH updates for competitive research grants and most career development award applications for due dates of 1/25/16 to 5/24/16 are now in effect. Another round of changes, which will apply to deadlines on or after 5/25/2016, is expected to be released by the NIH by 3/25/2016. Highlights of the changes are summarized below.
The major changes from Phase 1, which are now in effect, are as follows:
- Change to Significance and Approach Sections in Research Strategy of Research Plan: Rigor and Reproducibility requirements
- New Authentication of Key Resources Document (for applicable projects)
- Change to Human Subjects Section in Research Plan: NIH Lowers the Age Individuals are Defined as Children from under 21 to under 18
- Change in Vertebrate Animals Section in Research Plan
The NIH is planning a Phase 2 of application changes, including the release an updated Application Guide in a new FORMS D version by 3/25/16. The major changes center around new forms and other clarification and highlights are as follows:
- New Data Safety Monitoring Plan Form
- Updated Inclusion Enrollment Forms
- New PHS Assignment Request Form
- Change to Font Guidelines to Add Flexibility
- Biosketch Clarifications
- Appendix Changes
The above is not an exhaustive list of NIH application changes. If you would like more information, please e-mail Allison.Gottlieb@mssm.edu for GCO’s “Special Series” e-mails or refer directly to NIH Notices NIH-OD-16-004, NIH-OD16-008, NIH-OD-16-009.